Maluma / Малума

Модераторы: Куратор (Знаменитости), Куратор (Колумбия)

Ответить
Astrela
Модератор
Контактная информация:

Re: Maluma / Малума

Сообщение Astrela »

Astrela
Модератор
Контактная информация:

Сообщение Astrela »

Изображение Изображение Изображение

Изображение Изображение

Astrela
Модератор
Контактная информация:

Сообщение Astrela »

How Maluma went global in ten years.
Изображение Изображение Изображение Изображение Изображение
With billions of streams, collaborations from The Weeknd to Madonna, serious fashion credentials and, now, a starring role alongside Jennifer Lopez in upcoming Hollywood movie Marry Me, Colombian megastar Maluma is the musician of the moment.
When Maluma was 15, he decided he would be one of two things: Colombia's greatest footballer or Colombia’s biggest pop star. Having spent years training in his hometown of Medellín with his team, Atlético Nacional, he took a gamble, told his coach he was quitting and, for his 16th birthday, asked his aunt to pay for the studio time he needed to record his first song.

“People used to laugh at me; they thought that I wasn’t going to make it,” he says, over Zoom from his apartment in Miami, wearing a dark-green Anti Social Social Club T-shirt, two pairs of small hoop earrings and an Audemars Piguet. “But I realised that the only way I could live a happy life was making music.”

The risk paid off: a decade later Maluma has found a massive global audience for his Spanish-language pop, with one of the largest social media followings in music – 57.5 million on Instagram, 20.7m more than Harry Styles – and 35.5m listeners per month on Spotify alone. He’s collaborated with Black Eyed Peas, Madonna and, most recently, The Weeknd for his “Hawái” remix, where the Canadian sang in Spanish for the first time, giving Maluma his highest-charting hit in the US yet.
The 27-year-old is a fashion-scene favourite, working with everyone from Louis Vuitton to Adidas, as well as a recent Calvin Klein campaign. He has been invited to sit on front rows from Paris to Milan, performed at Dolce & Gabbana’s Fall 2018 menswear show and, in 2020, made it onto the GQ Most Stylish list. For Maluma's most recent world tour, 11:11, Kim Jones designed a bespoke wardrobe, adapted from Dior’s SS20 menswear collection. “For the next one, we’ve been speaking with Balmain’s Olivier Rousteing.” Oh, and he’s also about to make his acting debut in a major Hollywood romcom, alongside Jennifer Lopez.

So, how did Maluma, who has had 20 No1s on Billboard's Latin Airplay chart in the last three years alone, go from local hero to selling out venues as sizeable as Madison Square Garden and Wembley Arena?

Born Juan Luis Londoño, his trajectory is best understood within the wider context of the Latin music boom that has been bubbling since 2017, when Puerto Rican artists Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee released “Despacito”, which became the most-watched video in the history of YouTube. Now, Spanish-language pop is global, with YouTube reporting that it makes up around 30 per cent of its top 100 videos in a given week. Maluma is one of the platform’s most powerful players, with 27.4m subscribers and tens of billions of views across his videos.

While his school friends might, at first, have been skeptical of his musical ambitions, Maluma's success has come as no surprise to his family, who he helped to support financially from the age of ten, selling sandwiches and sweets at school. He is still extremely close to his mother, father and sister, from whose names the moniker “Maluma” was created. As his sister, a psychologist, says in his 2020 YouTube Original documentary, “I always told him he was going to fill stadiums, whether through soccer or through music, and here we are.”

Maluma’s popularity has been predicated on his extraordinary knack for creating polished, commercially minded earworms that fill dance floors from Poland to Peru. He calls his sound the “Maluma genre” – one month he might release a ballad, the next a rap – but the genre he is most often associated with is reggaeton, albeit with a specifically slick pop slant.
An evolution of dancehall and reggae en Español, reggaeton was developed by black communities in Panama and Puerto Rico in the 1990s, many of whom were migrant workers from Jamaica, blending hip-hop and reggae rhythms with Spanish singing and rapping. Maluma’s latest album, #7DJ (7 Días En Jamaica), is a cross-cultural project that explicitly acknowledges and pays tribute to these diasporan roots, drawing on Jamaica’s dancehall and reggae traditions after Maluma was inspired by a pre-pandemic holiday to the island last year.

Maluma told Entertainment Weekly earlier this month that the album is about recognising the communities that have been integral to Spanish music. “We wouldn't have urban Latino music without Africa and the contributions of the black community in Latin American and here in the US. This album is a small way to show my love for Jamaica and for black culture.”

Jamaican musicians Ziggy Marley and Charly Black feature on the seven-track record, the mood of which is best summed up by Maluma’s favourite memory from the trip: “Charly took us out to this amazing, ghetto nightclub. It was super chilled and zero fancy – the way the girls were dancing, the music and the whole feeling of Jamaican nightlife was beautiful.”

Maluma has leaned into his reputation as something of a Lothario since coming up as teen heart-throb on the Medellín music scene. Where his earliest releases were subtly suggestive, by 2015 he had fully embraced his Pretty Boy, Dirty Boy persona (the name of his breakthrough second album of that year), writing steamy lyrics that are more obviously influenced by Latin hip-hop and trap than the romance of salsa. Oscillating between louche machismo and puppy-dog sincerity, he sings about polyamorous affairs, one-night stands, boring boyfriends and being a toy boy. While he toned down the launch for his fourth album, 11:11, last year’s Papi Juancho once again played up to his bad-boy edge. Track “Cielo A Un Diablo” is a warning for women: “Don’t ask a devil for heaven.”

It is surely this side of Maluma that appealed to Madonna, who bagged the singer for a 2019 collaboration, “Medellín”. They made global headlines with the video, which now has more than 50m views and features the pair lounging on a bed drinking champagne, while Madonna leans down and licks Maluma’s toe to camera.

“I couldn’t believe it was happening,” he says of the collaboration. “While I was over in Portugal we actually made three songs, two for her album and one for mine, as well as shooting the video. It was such a big moment for me.” The first time he heard the final version of “Medellín” he cried.

Maluma says he had always had international ambitions and was inspired by Michael Jackson and Marc Anthony as a teenager. “Marc was with J Lo at the time and they were this crazy hot couple, then she went out with Puff Daddy and everything,” he remembers. “I wanted to be like him, to be a part of the industry, not only because I love music but because I love the lifestyle.”

Maluma’s dreams have come full circle. Soon, he will be introduced to an even bigger international audience, starring alongside Lopez in Hollywood movie Marry Me, where he plays her character's pop star boyfriend.

He recalls confiding in Lopez on his first day on set in New York, telling her how nervous he felt, having barely acted before. “She was like, ‘Don’t be stupid. Just be you. You know how to do it: it’s the same as when you’re on stage. He is your character.’” The best piece of advice she gave him, he says, was “Don’t overact. It worked, actually.”

Originally slated for a Valentine’s Day release but pushed back due to the pandemic, the film brings Latin music to the big screen and, with two Latin leads, is a landmark in terms of representation. According to the University Of Southern California’s Annenberg Inclusion Initiative, only 4.9 per cent of the speaking roles in 2019’s top 100 films went to Latin actors.

The very existence of Marry Me is testament to Latin culture’s increasing appeal with global audiences. There is a bilingual companion soundtrack, featuring Spanish songs such as “Pa Ti”, a Lopez and Maluma collaboration that premiered on TikTok last September, a first for the platform, which has a dance challenge that has been viewed 2.9 billion times.

While the Latin “explosion” of 20 or so years ago saw the likes of Lopez, Shakira and Enrique Iglesias assimilate by singing in English, now artists such as Maluma are under no such pressure. A few years ago, he flew to LA to work with some of the US’s most coveted producers on an English-language album, but he says it didn’t feel authentic. “I don’t feel the same when I sing in English,” he says. “Spanish is a beautiful language and I am proud of it. I feel proud of my culture. I feel proud of my country. My essence is making Spanish music.”

His refusal to bend to the English-speaking world comes paired with a deep feeling of responsibility to represent Colombia positively abroad. He says how, before, when he travelled to places such as London, the main point of reference for his country from the locals he met was always, sadly, Pablo Escobar. “It’s not happening that often anymore, though, because when we talk about Colombia, people also think about J Balvin, Maluma and Shakira, which is so good. Right now, they don’t know about Colombia because of the violence that we lived through in the 1990s. We’re all doing hard work to change the face of the country.”

In the past year, like everyone, Maluma has had to stop and settle. At the moment, his priorities are working, exercising and meditating. His mother is currently staying with him and he has recently got a puppy, “a new baby”, that gets him up at 6am every day, bringing his number of pet dogs up to ten.

As well as his Miami apartment and his modern hillside mansion about 30 minutes outside of Medellín, Maluma has a ranch, where seven of the dogs live, along with cows, chickens and horses. “It has a farm ambience. It’s super chilled and I don’t really like to shower when I am there. I like to go and shower my horses and just be the kid that I always wanted to be, you know?”

Maluma has relished the stillness. He had been touring for seven years consecutively when 2020 started and was exhausted. “I had been asking the universe to help me stop touring. I wanted to have time with my family, with my dogs, in the house I was never at.”

A sheepish smile spreads across his face. “Also, 2020 is the year I was reborn. There is a new Maluma from 2020.” In what sense, exactly? “Well, I started my career in 2010, so it’s been ten years and every ten years we finish a kind of cycle. Now I’m onto the next one.”

Astrela
Модератор
Контактная информация:

Сообщение Astrela »

Изображение Изображение

Astrela
Модератор
Контактная информация:

Сообщение Astrela »

Изображение Изображение Изображение